Welcome to Blueberry Smiles where I share the bits and pieces of my everyday, sometimes chaotic, but
always usually happy and love-filled life. It might be my latest adventure in the kitchen, a story about my thinks-he’s-human dog, a new exercise pursuit, a burst of positivity or gratefulness, or simple adventures in life and love. Whatever it is, I hope this blog makes you smile.
I’m Rebecca, living in San Francisco with my amazing boyfriend and adorable puppy. By day, I run a nonprofit program that helps homeless kids, but in my non-working world, I love yoga, swimming, hiking, baking, photography, my dog, the beach, cheering for my Ironman boyfriend at his races, and chocolate ice cream (always in a cone!)
I’m a fifth-generation San Franciscan, which makes me a true Californian…though only on paper. SF is a mecca for healthy eating and exercise, and it’s so much fun to discover all the healthy living-ness that this city has to offer. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that Napa/Sonoma and amazing wine tasting is just an hour away! I grew up here, went to the east coast for college, but have been back for a while (for good? possibly…).
Food: My California roots have made me appreciate fresh fruits and veggies (as well as ample time in the sun.) I love to cook and experiment with new recipes, as long as there’s someone to help me eat them. I also love to scour odd grocery stores or farmer’s markets for interesting new foods.
I feel best when I eat fresh, unprocessed, real foods, and try to do so 85% of the time. My kitchen is always stocked with fresh veggies, quinoa, organic fruits, fish, and sweet potatoes. But don’t be fooled, I the other 15% is filled with chocolate ice cream, red wine, and any kind of baked goods. I struggled with obsessing over what I ate for way too many years in the past and am happy to have a much healthier view of foods. It’s all about balance.
Fitness: I’ve always been active and while I have run a few races, I’m typically more into hiking, swimming, tennis, and yoga than running these days. I tend to change my mind pretty often and start a new fitness pursuit, so we’ll see. With a busy work and personal life, fitting in quality of exercise is often a challenge and I work hard to try to find a balance. Some weeks are better than others.
Life: Charlie, my 3-yr old pup is my weekend side-kick and we often spend the weekend hiking or hanging out at the beach. He’s happy, curious, and very, very communicative and I feel so lucky to be his dog-mom.
Ironman Supporter: My boyfriend is training for his second Ironman and supporting someone training for a race is an adventure on its own (check out my post on Carrots n Cake).
Extra Smiles: Blueberry Smiles is also about looking on the bright side. About appreciating the small things. About finding something extra to smile about. And about being grateful for what we have. I have so much to be thankful and grateful for. And I’m using this blog as a way to count my blessings and to find extra small things that make me smile.
I’ll try to post something from that day that made me smile or that I was extra grateful for. Doing so helps me look for things in my everyday life, to see them more than I see the negative frown-y things.
Why Blueberry Smiles? Truth, I just liked the name. But it ended up having more meaning for me too. Bueberries are these tiny berries, but each one is jam-packed with nutrients, creating a sweet burst in your mouth that is good for your taste buds and good for you body. That’s something to smile about.
Thanks for visiting!!