Are you in the mood for another survey? I am! I know we’re already two weeks into 2013, but I always need a little time in January to put closure on the past year and think through everything that happened. This survey is all about 2012. Many bloggers did it the first couple days of Jan, but I wasn’t ready to fill it out until now. I love filling out these surveys!
But first, an update– Holy cow, the Dog Toy event was so terrific last week! 70 people came! The bar I picked was way too small-ish so it was packed. We collected a whopping 172 dog toys (!!) and $180! Jared and I went to the pet store earlier this week and bought 40 toys with the money…..the drive is up to almost 300 toys now! It’s so amazing and a lot of exciting things are in the works for it. Yay!
On a side note, Charlie has not been happy that there are all these fun toys that he’s not allowed to play with sitting in our living room. Poor guy. I bought him 5 new toys just to make him feel better because he spent a good part of the weekend crying at the box. I have to donate them to the shelters by the end of next week so I can stop torturing him!
And awful thing of the week— a man died at my gym while I was there Wednesday night. He had a stroke in the pool. They pulled him out, gave him cpr for 10 minutes until the paramedics came. The paramedics gave him cpr for another 40 minutes….until they called it and put some blankets over him. It was just horrible. I was at a kickboxing class, but the pool is in the center of the gym and there’s windows everywhere so we felt like we were right there with them. I felt horribly guilty staying in the class and working out, but there was no use in standing around watching and I didn’t want to go home. I spent the class silently praying, silently crying a little, and just unfocused (even though it was a great class and I still felt like I got a good workout). I just feel so bad thinking how he probably left for a regular workout at the gym….and had no idea it was his last few hours of life. Still really sad about. Life is short people. You never know what the day has in store for you.
Okay, now on to the survey!
1. What was your greatest personal accomplishment in 2012? I feel like I’ve grown sooo much as a person in 2012. I’d say starting my blog, starting the dog toy collection, and getting engaged were highlights (though I’m not sure getting engaged is considered an accomplishment, but process of working in a relationship to get to that point is…)
2. What’s the best thing you did for your health? Joined a new gym! In the beginning of last year I was really hating my old gym and not wanting to spend time there. Even though Jared and I weren’t living together, I joined his gym (in his/our building) and finally got access to a swimming pool, sauna, etc– it’s been sooo nice! Rooftop yoga was also an awesome part of 2012…I hope I go many times in 2013 (as soon as it warms up a bit).
3. List a few things that you experienced for the first time at some point over the last twelve months. Blogging. A blog conference. Arizona. Apple picking/fall foliage.
4. What was the coolest place you visited? Arizona—the tall cactuses were really neat to see in person! And strangely enough, I’ll say Folsom….we had fun near the lake and it was this area of California that I’d never been to before! We took other great trips- FL, DC, NJ, Boston, Sonoma/Napa, Tahoe, etc but those are all places I’d been before.
5. What is the best meal you ate this year? Ooooh tough question! I have no clue. I’d say my birthday cake. It was awesome.
6. Tell us about a new friend you made. Well, all of you blogging friends, of course! It’s been so amazing getting know all of you. I’ve also started going to my book club more regularly and became closer with a lot of the girls—one of my goals last year was to make more girlfriends—and that really helped me succeed!
7. Share something you learned in 2012. I learned to open up a little more—I am often kinda shy and private, but I’ve gotten much more open through sharing stuff on the blog, just through getting closer to Jared, etc. I’ve also learned that things don’t always go quite as you’ve expected….but they still do work out for the best.
8. Share an odd and unexpected thing that you experienced this year. I really thought Charlie was going to like being a therapy dog and was all excited about starting the program….but then we went through the training and he had his “test” at the nursing home….he hated it! He hid under the table. At first I was disappointed, but then I realized I didn’t really enjoy it either and that it wasn’t what I was expecting at all.
9. How do you think 2013 will differ from 2012? I think 2013 will be so different! I think getting married will change life (so excited). I have some new side projects in the works that I am so excited about and if they continue to grow, I think that’ll change my daily life tremendously. Jared and I are considering moving out of SF in 2013 (just to the ‘burbs), so that will change my day-to-day. I hope that the blog will grow and change too…I’m trying to figure out how to focus it better- sometimes I feel like I’m all over the place in what I write about, but I hope to get that sorted out a bit more. 2012 was full of uncertainty in so many ways and I spent much of the year working them out and thinking through things….and I think 2013 will take what I’ve learned and run with it!
So here’s to 2013!! Life is so unexpected, I think about how I had no idea what I was in store for last time this year….but I promise to stay positive, move forward, and be myself….and hopefully that’s enough to make this year move in the right direction! I always worry about the health and well-being of my friends and family– the happier and healthier they are, the better I am…and so I hope this year brings mostly good things for all of them too. And if I learned anything after my gym experience tonight, it’s that life is really short so we’d better all make the very most out of 2013.
– What’s something you accomplished and are proud of in 2012?
– What’s a goal you have for this year?
– Have you ever had someone die or get really injured while you were at the gym or a sporting event?
– Help– My photo uploads are acting weird…are the photos in this post big or small on your screen?