Happy October! Pumpkins are everywhere, we’re having amazing Indian Summer weather in San Francisco, and it finally feels like fall. I’m loving it.
I started the first day of October with some pumpkin, finally. Why did I wait? So yummy. I added a bit to my smoothie and not a bad combo, I must say.
Speaking of good combos……I tried this Kombucha flavor this weekend and – YUM! It was really different and good. There are only 20 calories for the whole bottle too (instead of the normal 70 per bottle of the other brand). I wonder why so many less than the regular? Kombucha calories don’t bother me, I just thought it was interesting.
In addition to pumpkins, Halloween prep has exploded around here too. Haunted houses, costumes, etc. Speaking of spooky fall stuff (sorta) and because it’s October 1st….
Did you say “White Rabbits” when you woke up this morning? I meant to– I even made a mental note last night when I was falling asleep– but then I totally forgot this morning. Instead, I think my first words this morning were something groggy like, “What time is it?”
Years ago (probably when I was in high school), I bought a white magic book at Urban Outfitters. It was full of little things like how to attract love (light a pink candle, say their name three times, write it on a piece of paper, burn the paper, and then blow out the candle….or something like that), have good luck, or attract more money.
My sister and I just read it for fun, probably tried the love tricks (they didn’t work- ha), but little things in it– like the superstition of saying “White Rabbits” on the first day of every month (if you’re not familiar with it, if you say it, you’ll have a good luck all month) stuck. Out of habit, I still think about it on the first day of the month!
As I was driving to work this morning, I realized that I have all sorts of superstitions. Do you too?
– I won’t walk under a ladder
– I won’t put shoes on the bed (even if they’re in a bag, etc)
– I walk the other way if a black cat crosses
– I won’t open an umbrella inside
– If a bird is pecking at the window, comes inside, or is just trying to get in, it means someone you know is going to die (an omen)
– You must blow out all your birthday candles in one breath.
– You should always have salt in the house (this was something my grandma used to say)
– If a light turns on by itself, it’s a ghost/spirit
– Seeing dragonflies symbolize new beginnings
I did break a mirror once (it was a full length mirror and I put it in my car to move to a new apartment….and it broke). I was horrified about the 7 years bad luck thing. Truthfully, the 7 years after that really weren’t the best at all, but I don’t really think it had to do with the cheap $10 mirror I had bought at bed bath and beyond.
But other than that, they’re mostly for fun (no, I won’t freak out if shoes are on my bed or there’s no choice but to walk under a ladder), but it’s part of my inherit consciousness and I’m assuming that since I learned them as a kid, they’re sticking with me for life.
Okay, how about you? Superstitious?
– What are your superstitions?
– Same as mine? None?
– Are your parents or grandparents superstitious? My grandmother was and so I “inherited” a lot of it from her. My mom is too a bit. My dad isn’t at all. My sister is sort of, but less than me.