Yay, we can wear white again!!!!! It’s summer!! Happy Memorial Day wknd! Hope you are eating lots of watermelon and hanging out in sun.
I get to spend my Memorial Day wknd in Washington DC, so will hopefully be feeling extra patriotic. My healthy intention of the weekend is to eat small portions (of whatever I want). It’s easy to indulge on a busy, traveling holiday weekend and focusing on small portions will help me stay on track.
Because I love fun facts on holidays, here are some Memorial Day Fun Facts to share
1. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day
Union women used to decorate the graves of soldiers with flowers.
2. The red poppy is a traditional symbol of Memorial Day (many veterans still wear them to mark the day).
3. Americans have observed Memorial Day since 1868 (after the Civil War), but it wasn’t made a national holiday until 1971. In 1971, Congress declared the celebrations to take place on the last Monday in May. Before that, different states celebrated on different days.
4. And about BBQs (of course! It’s memorial day!) Here’s how the main dish ranks bbq-wise– Americans make hamburgers 87% of the time, steak 83%, chicken 78%, and hot dogs at 76%. What about the veggie eats?
5. Monday (Memorial Day) is also National Hamburger Day.
So enjoy! Eat a burger this weekend! And thank a vetran too.
Happy Memorial Day!
– What are you up to this weekend?
– If you’re grilling, what are you planning to make?