Granola’s a great post-workout or really, anytime-snack and is so versatile, it can just about be eaten anytime of the day. I love sprinkling it on top of yogurt or ice cream, eating a bowl with almond milk, and even topping my salads with a hefty spoonful.
With the combo of crunchy-ness, filling, and a hint of sweetness, you really can’t go wrong!
While I usually get my granola out of the bulk bins, making my own is not only healthier, but I can add just my favorite ingredients. Plus, it’s super simple!
Here’s my favorite recipe;
– 3 cups rolled oats
– 1/2 stick butter
– 1/3 cup honey
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1 cup cashews and walnuts (chopped into medium sized pieces) (can exchange other nuts here too, of course)
– 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup dried cranberries
– 1/2 cup dried apricots (chopped)
1) Preheat oven to 325.
2) Melt butter and honey in a pan over low heat. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir. Set aside.
3) Mix oats, nuts, and salt in a bowl.
4) Pour in butter/honey mixture.
5) Mix together. Then spread in a thin layer onto a baking sheet.
6) Bake for 18-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Be sure it doesn’t burn! And not to worry if it’s not crisp- that happens when it’s cool.
7) Remove from oven and let cool completely.
8) Pour it into a bowl, break up large pieces if you want. Then, mix in dried fruit.
I sprinkled a few chocolate chips in there for good measure (can’t help but add choc chips to everything these days!)
And, there ya go! Easy granola that you can now add to everything!
Then, go give the dog a bath
Oh wait, that’s just me
– What are your favorite things to add to granola?
– What do you eat with your granola? Yogurt, milk, salads, oatmeal?